QmailtoasterMain Page | About | Help | FAQ | Special pages | Log in

Printable version | Disclaimers | Privacy policy

Recovering from a blown upgrade

From Qmailtoaster

Recovering from a blown upgrade

A few weeks ago someone posted a message about how he did an upgrade on a production server and it stopped working. He was getting the message "451 qq write error or disk full (#4.3.0)"

I had this same problem happen today. While I do not know what caused it, I suspect that not turning off monit had something to do with it, as monit would have tried to restart qmail every few minutes. Again, this is just a suspicion.

The tangible results of this upgrade failure was that many files and folders throughout the qmail installation ended up being owned by named:named.

One thing you should know about my system is that /home/vpopmail is a softlink to /var/qmail. This allows me to have less directories to back up and to follow a scheme that I used on earlier (pre-toaster) setups. So when I refer to the /var/qmail/domains directory, it is likely to be /home/vpopmail/domains for you if you do not have your schema set up as do I,

What needs to be done to revive the system is to do a lot of ownership changes and some mode changes.

First I ran queue_repair.py -r. I do not know that it actually did a lot of good because things it said that it did, when I checked it did not, but I include it here for thoroughness.

Here are the changes I had to make:

chown root:root /usr/sbin/httpd
cd /var/qmail ; chown -R qmaill:qmail supervise
cd /var/qmail/bin; chown root:qmail qmail-clean qmail-lspawn qmail-rspawn qmail-send qmail-smtpd
cd /var/qmail/domains ; chown -R vpopmail:vchkpw *
cd /var/qmail/etc ; chown vpopmail:vchkpw vpopmail.mysql*
cd /var/log/qmail ; chown -R qmaill:qmail *
cd /var/qmail/queue ; chown -R qmailq:qmail todo
cd /var/qmail/queue/todo ; chmod 644 *

I have no idea of how apache (httpd) got changed, but it had monit sending me alerts, so that was what I had changed first.

So that's my list of things that needed to be fixed to get a messed-up toaster upgrade back to working condition. Hopefully it will save someone the half hour of work it took me to figure it all out.

User Tips & Tricks

Retrieved from "http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php/Recovering_from_a_blown_upgrade"

This page has been accessed 5,705 times. This page was last modified on 1 November 2006, at 14:49. Content is available under GNU Free Documentation License 1.2.


Main page
Community portal
Current events
Recent changes
Random page
View source
Editing help
This page
Discuss this page
New section
Printable version
Page history
What links here
Related changes
My pages
Log in / create account
Special pages
New pages
File list